Whoo-hooo! I’m in Austin!
Those who follow this blog may wonder what the fuck I’m up to.
I am up to something!
So yes, this is my third (well, technically fourth…erm…fifth) move in the last year. I’m super duper excited to land in Texas!
Some initial impressions:
- My roommate is off the hook. She’s killer smart, hilarious, has a fantastic heart, and is just the right amount of quirky. Love. She says shit like, “Oh my gosh, why haven’t people invented the coconut bong called the toke-o-nut?!” And, when I commented on the high Mac ratio of this town, she assumed I was talking about all the hot guys to mack on.
- This is a good looking city! Every day I wish I was at a cafe, people watching. I’m only allowing myself that opportunity a couple times a week, though, because it’s easy to start people watching and stop working.
- Austin likes local. In the downtown area, it’s hard to find a chain restaurant or store. On the brew side, there’s local microbrews, a ‘National Beer of Texas‘, and even quality distilled vodka (smoother than Ketel One. I’ll have a Bloody Mary, please!). On the food side, there’s restaurants that get their ingredients from local farms–and they’re actually affordable. Clothing? The thrift stores here are fucking nuts. So far, I’ve restrained myself. Coffee? Some cafes roast their own beans. And holy balls, cafes here sell coffee and beer. Which means I can stay there all day. #OfficeHours!
I get the impression that the local attitude comes from both an ecological bend (why ship stuff here and waste all that oil?) and a philosophical bend (uh, why ship that shit here when we could do better on our own?).
- Aquí, puedo platicar en español cuando quiero…
- Austin is the first city I’ve ever been to that I can see myself getting attached to. I’m not sure if it’s due to how amazing Austin is, or maybe I’m just ready to find a place to be.
I’ve only been here a week, so these are really just my superficial first impressions. We’ll see what happens with time.